- Viajando Pelo Brasil
- Brazilian Jazz Ensemble
- Brazil
- Soprano Sax, Tenor Sax, Vocals, Drums, Guitar, Piano, Bass
- While Jazz is a genre I really enjoy listening to as well as studying, I have always enjoyed hearing types of Jazz music performed in other countries simply to hear how they are able to manipulate, change, modulate and create a whole new sound when it comes to Jazz. In this particular example, the musicians have given a very fresh look on how sounds can be used to create unison rhythms and sounds for longer periods of time. Typical of Jazz, there are some sections where there is call and response, improvisational solos, as well as modulations through chord changes. The ensemble continues to expand the boundaries of sound textures, blend and balance. With the Female vocals in both unison and harmony with the main saxophone lines, it creates a different sound for jazz musicians. As the piece moves ahead, there are some repeated sections in the ensemble however the melody always seems to change ever so slightly as the piece progresses. Finally, while the piece does not "cadence" into a resolved ending as in most "classical" music, this piece does end with a rubato feeling in the accompaniment allowing one final solo for the soprano and tenor sax.
Thursday, July 10, 2014
Week Three Blog Post - Brazilian Jazz Ensemble
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really enjoyed listening to this. It is interesting to hear the similarities between different kinds of jazz, especially when we like to claim it as our own. I did a Brazilian piece last week for my blog and I can recognize a lot of the rhythms and styles in this piece as well. The one part I am having a trouble with is the guitar and piano solos. It is not a complete change of style but it does seem to have more of an American feel, especially with the drum part. It leads into more of an upbeat shuffle feel. It then returns to the Brazilian style rhythm section. Do you think this is on purpose or do you think it was really just too hard for them to establish the keyboard into the Brazilian style?
ReplyDeleteWho are the musicians? Can you fill in the blanks more to identify this piece. The video says it is performed by the New School for Jazz. Where is this? Also I think this might have been more powerful if you could have found a Brazilian jazz group.
ReplyDeleteDr T, The group info and performers were whited out the Blog, I have attached the answers below: Sorry for the confusion however this is a Brazilian Jazz Ensemble.
ReplyDeleteBrazilian Jazz Ensemble
Brazil
Soprano Sax, Tenor Sax, Vocals, Drums, Guitar, Piano, Bass