2) Performer: Tarun Sufi
3) Culture/Origin: Middle East, Pakistan
4) Instrumentation: Male Vocals
5) When I first found this music video, I was really captivated by the overall melody and visual images of the middle east. The way the melodies and harmonies become intertwined allow the music to speak and be understood without a translation of the music. The performer, Tarun Sufi, is not the first performer to record the song Challa. There are other examples of this particular song title, however the meanings of the lyrics are unknown to me. Sufi takes a more popular spin on this piece in particular, almost mimicking some forms of American or European popular radio genres. The authenticity of this piece of music is skewed in my opinion. While I feel that the lyrics are genuine and of the Middle East, I find that the original context of this song was intended for a different meaning. While I feel that this could be beneficial from an educational standpoint, it may not be the intended design, use, or application of the piece. Are all reproductions "misused"? Is there a way to used non authentic music for authentic education? Of Course!!
I agree with you that this song is done in video style that mimics an American or western video. It does degrade the authenticity of music in my opinion. However, is this video any different than an American artist taking an old American tune and presenting an updated verison of the song? In both cases, the music is not in its authentic setting but the old setting may not appeal to the current generation. So we should give some wiggle room as societies move on in time.
ReplyDeleteYou pose a good question about using non authentic music to teach music of other cultures and I would agree with you that it can be done. According to our texts thus far reproducing world music authentically is very difficult to do and in many academic settings not possible. We can't quite replicate the culture, history, social knowledge to create it authentically, but we can get close and provide an experience. When I think of playing non western-European art music I think about trying to branch out and give the students an idea of other world music. I usually go more in depth into musical theory aspects and styles of playing and not so much the culture because of time restraints. Most string arrangements are not quite authentic like you talked about in your video this week, but they present themes and basic musical ideas of that culture which I find valuable. So I believe as you do that non-authentic music can be used to help diversify teaching of world music because we don always have to correct resources or time.
ReplyDeleteI feel that authenticity definitely plays a role in this performance. From a musical standpoint I like the melody and the rhythm of the song. What's unique about this performance is that the music has a bit of a contemporary feel. The video aspect also brings a contemporary feel to the performance. However, does the rhythm and overall concept of the music and video take away from the authenticity of the music? Although I strongly believe that music should maintain it's historic value; I also feel that people should also embrace the progressive musicality while maintaining it's traditional aspects.
ReplyDelete